Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Gear Planning

First, go read (or, like me, have a seizure as the list of links flies by your screen.) That post is the springboard for my post. I want to apologize to Honor, as he is picked on (he doesn't care, no one reads me,) by this post. But he is wrong. You see, gear planning is bad, not good. A gear plan indicates a 'me' state of mind. If you have a plan, and someone asks you to run instance Y, and you don't need that instance for any gear, what do you do? If your a friend, or a good person, or have to, or what-have-you, you run anyway, right? Good, your not a complete douche. However, you see what happened there? I did, you justified. You came up with an excuse that would let you run the instance with friends. Making excuses to hang out with friends? Tisk tisk. You will never see a gear plan here, mostly because I am not sure enough of myself to rank stuff, but more importantly, I run instances for fun, not for the gear. Let me crawl off my high horse, this will only take a second. Hold on, its really high. No, long legs, really. Okay, now that I am down here with the huddled masses, I can say that, obviously, my method is not perfect, especially since I am a tank, the group relies on me having good gear (and a little skill.) So, sometimes, I need to take the lead, tell people what I need to run, and you know what annoys me most? "Oh, I am sorry, Ogre, I don't need anything from that run, get someone else, but I will go if you really need me." I cant count how many times that used to happen in a former life. I would just say to myself "orly? Well, nm then, waste of time," and lo and behold, no gear for me. I know, bad call on who my friends were, so I transferred servers, but still, the point is. Don't do that! Or, at least, don't be a douche when you do. This has been this months segment in "Ogre tells you what to do." Which is a free public service brought to you by my high horse, who is very tall, and needs much feed.

3 comments:

Rae said...

Wouldn't it be more of an amazingly tall demon bird cleverly masquerading as a horse?

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree as to having a gear plan...but it shouldn't prevent you from doing other stuff. If you are looking to raid in any 10 or 25 person situation, you need to be geared from Heroics/Factions and the best way to get geared is to know what gear you need and where to get it.

I don't think that should prevent you from running a particular heroic if friends asked you too, that is just plain selfish, because you also get rep with whatever faction you are championing at the time, unless you are exalted with them all already...

Either way, there are so many other things that you get from running any Heroic, not just one you need for a particular piece of gear, there's emblems of heroism, reputation with the faction you are championing, having fun with friends, etc...some of which I mentioned above. Anyway, I don't think having a gear plan prevents people from running certain Heroics/Instances, or at least I haven't seen that happen yet, and I know quite a few players that have a gear plan.

I can definitely see though how a person who has run plenty of Heroics and is/are geared for them would choose not to run any regular instances any further as there is no tangible benefit.

Anonymous said...

oh, grats on the blog!

=P